Prior or after the Woody Root 7 symposium you are most welcome to explore Estonia
Estonia is a real treat for busy city dwellers looking to stretch out their limbs and breathe in a lung-full of the world's cleanest air (according to WHO 2011 report).
Estonia is Lonely Planet's best value destination in the world in 2016. The reason? Where do we start? From receiving more for your buck to being one of the greenest country on the globe, Estonia is largely yet to be discovered and a rare find for value-seeking traveller.
Here are some cool facts about Estonia:
- Estonia has a population of just 1.3 million but is larger than Denmark and Holland.
- Estonia's capital Tallinn is the best preserved medieval city in Northern Europe.
- Estonia is almost 50% forest.
- Estonia has over 2000 islands.
- Estonian Song Celebration dates back to 1869, attracting thousands of singers in every 5 years.
- Estonia is one of the least religious countries in the world.
- Estonia is a digital society
There are some exciting festivals taking place in Estonia close to dates of the Woody Root 7 symposium. Here are some of our recommendations:
- 29.06.2017 Tartu City Day 2017: On 29 June traces of Tartu are being brought to you by musicians, experts, storytellers, locals and guests alike, as well as by otherwise closed doors that open up that day to welcome you in. The city`s museums, cafés, libraries and churches happily take some of the responsibility of organising the fun and educational activities of the day.
- 30.06.2017 Pärnu Hansa Days: Pärnu’s Hanseatic Days Festival gives us a look back into the past. Let’s go back to our roots. We’ll go to the wisdom filled rocks. Medieval customs, ethnic crafts, ancient skills and spiritual wealth! Come to buy and sell, to learn and to teach. Listen to enchanting musical rhythms, dance crazy dances during a medieval celebration.
- 30.06.2017-2.07.2017 The 12th Youth Song and Dance Celebration "Mina jään" (I will stay)": The song and dance festival tradition has been included in the UNESCO intangible culture heritage list. The 12th Youth Song and Dance Celebration, taking place in 2017, focuses on "roots", the relation between the young and their country, culture, and the older generation, who provides us with the strength to preserve and pass on the wisdom of our ancestors – our way of being.
- 01.07.2017-30.07.2017 Kabli Sunset Festival: This traditional cultural festival in the small beach town of Kabli brings together some of Estonia's best musicians and most exciting people. The festival features concerts with music from classical to jazz, elegant salon evenings, literary and film events, beach parties until dawn and a genuine village party.
More information and travel suggestions can be found at visitestonia.com.